Monday 5 October 2015

The Forever Boxes


A while back I had a look at Venice's cemetery, which is just north of the main island. It's a rectangular island where dead people live. They are put in the ground and then eventually dug up and shoved into tiny boxes in the walls. I recently went there again, because it's a short trip from the mainland and a lot less hectic. The people there are very quiet.


A new section was designed a few years ago. It's still being finished off, and the empty ossuaries are fascinating.

"After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie."


One day a lucky band of passengers will get to hitch a ride in the boxes, journeying unconsciously through time until the Earth is destroyed, at which point they will continue to remain dead forevermore.